Saturday, April 15, 2017

Digital Blog Post #L

Chapter 12 is about integrating technology and creating change as teacher leaders.  As I further my education, I hope to find better ways to incorporate technology throughout the school years and not just for 30 minutes one day a week.  As I began this course I realized that I was a person who followed the pattern of inclusion.  I depended on technology for about only 30 minutes a day for a particular assignment and moved on, of course this still works but does not necessarily involve technology as effectively as it could be.  I have grown and hope to continue to grow to efficiently infuse technology into the school year.  An ongoing lesson plan throughout the year as the two mentioned in the book are a part of my future goal as a teacher.  It will excite students and get them into the habit of using technology to achieve success.  Today's jobs all revolve around using some sort of electronic or technology and children must be prepared properly for the world they will be entering.

Photo credit to Duke Ellington DNG 343 from Flickr
Every job in current society requires the use of computers and/or more advanced technology.  Teaching children how to use computers, which can be thought as the foundation of technology, can create successful students who are technology savvy.  As mentioned in the chapter, significant technology use contributes to other positive learning developments such as being more confident, aware, self starter, communicate more effectively, and share knowledge spontaneously.  Here is an amazing video on how much the world is changing everyday because of technology and as educators must do our best to attempt to prepare students.



Hendry county is where I hope and am planning to teach in the future.  Hendry county is a lower income county in which public education sometimes suffers in lack of supplies.  Although, I did learn that recently many classrooms have been able to receive laptops for each student to assist in learning.  When students have access to computers in the classroom, it helps the teacher to be able to create more exciting lessons in which students can access the internet for research projects, assessments, and classwork.  The laptops are not the most up to date, newest, or best quality computer but get the job done.  Teachers must make sure laptops are taken care of, its software is updated often and are used appropriately.  I found a really great blog on how it has been found that one-to-one laptop computing in the classroom has great benefits.


Resources

Herold, Benjamin. One-To-One Laptop Initiatives Boosts Student Scores, Research Find. (11 May 2016). Retrieved from http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalEducation/2016/05/one-to-one_laptop_test_scores.html

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O'Loughlin, Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Pkhz. Education and The Future of Technology. (2009). Retreived on 13 April 2017 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO_HGafBsE

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mayra!
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I think it's so important to introduce technology to students and incorporate it into the classroom. My goal as a future educator is to continue to learn and develop my experiences with technology so that I am more knowledgable when it comes time to teaching my own students. I want to be informed and updated on current technology and appropriate and efficient ways to integrate it into my everyday lesson plans and activities. I personally feel that students are much more engaged, motivated, and eager to learn with hands on activities such as technology. You pose a great point when you say technology has become such a large part of society. In fact almost everything revolves around technology nowadays, or so it seems! I wish you the best of luck with wherever you decide to teach. You seem to have the perfect mindset and understanding of how beneficial technology can be to student learning and development.

    ReplyDelete